Friday, June 23, 2006

I did not go down the rabbit hole. The rabbit hole came and swallowed me up.

Bank Data Secretly Reviewed by U.S. to Fight Terror

Couldn't the NYT have had the decency to put some quotation marks in that headline? Bank Data Secretly Reviewed by U.S. to "Fight Terror".

We don't get to know how or why the gov'ment does this kind of thing, so why should I give them the benefit of the doubt that it is about terror fightin'? As far as I or anyone else knows, "fighting terror" is defined to mean, snooping on political opponents of the president. In the absence of real information, of course I am going to think the worst.

We should all have a little more, and by "a little more" I mean "a thousand boatloads more," skepticism here.

UPDATE: I should note that the NYT headline now reads: Bank Data Is Sifted by U.S. in Secret to Block Terror. The quotes and skepticism are still needed, I think.

UPDATE #2: OK, now I'm not even sure those are the same article, or if they are two different articles. However, I also don't care, so there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home